It is important to care for your denture and remember, even if you wear dentures, its important to have regular dental exams.
Daily Denture Care
It is important to remove dentures from the mouth and clean them daily.
- Use a denture brush and/or toothbrush and a mild liquid soap—do not use toothpaste as this will scratch the denture.
- Clean any natural teeth and/or the soft tissues of the mouth using a fluoride toothpaste and separate brush. Also, ensure that the roots of an overdenture are kept clean.
- Handle with care: Dentures are fragile and should be handled with care. When cleaning your denture it is advised to do so over a towel or basin partially filled with water.
- Store dentures overnight to give your mouth a chance to rest. Always store in water or denture cleaner.
Visit Your Dentist
Regular visits to your dentist are also required. During your examination your dentist will:
- Examine the hard and soft tissues of your mouth
- Check the fit and function of your denture
A complete denture may require a reline (may be required every 3 – 5 years) to adjust to changes in your mouth and may require replacement over time.
Learn more about what your dentist is looking for during the dental examination.