General Practice Dentists
General practice dentists (general practitioners) provide a wide
variety of dental procedures including all or most of the following:
- Complete dental examinations and diagnosis of disease including x-rays
- Preventive dentistry (e.g. cleanings, oral hygiene instruction, fluoride treatments, fissure sealants)
- Restorative dentistry (e.g. fillings, crowns, veneers, bridges, dentures, implants)
- Endodontic treatment (e.g. root canal)
- Periodontal treatment (e.g. gum treatment)
- Surgical treatment (e.g. extracting teeth, oral surgery)
- Orthodontics (correcting the of alignment of teeth)
- Cosmetic treatments (including bleaching of teeth)
Occasionally a general practitioner will recommend that a patient be referred to a dental specialist.
For example, if he or she determines that the treatment required is
complex enough to require the additional expertise of a dentist who has
taken extra training to specialize in a particular area of dentistry.
Find a dentist:
Visit Find a Dentist for a list of dentists accepting new patients; a complete list of licensed practising dentists in BC can be found through the College of Dental Surgeons of BC.