There are two levels of dental assisting in BC:
- Certified Dental Assistants (CDA) are trained in diploma courses held in colleges throughout the province. They are trained to assist the dentist during treatment of the patient and are qualified to carry out some procedures on patients under the direction of the dentist.
- Dental Assistants require no formal training because training will be provided “on the job” by the dentist. The duties that can be performed by a chairside assistant are limited, and unlike those of certified dental assistant, do not include procedures carried out on the patient.
Certified Dental Assisting Programs in BC
- Camosun College, Victoria
- College of New Caledonia, Prince George
- College of the Rockies, Cranbrook
- Douglas College, New Westminster
- Okanagan College, Kelowna
- University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford
- Vancouver Community College, Vancouver
- Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo
- CDI College, Burnaby, Surrey and Victoria